Westurn Engineering respects the privacy of all personal information of our employees and other individuals. The purpose of this policy is to communicate the way in which we manage personal information.
SCOPE AND APPLICABILITY
This statement covers personal information, including sensitive information, of individuals who work with us, visit our offices or visit our website.
This statement does not cover personal information contained in “employee records” of current or former employees which is collected or used in relation to a current or former employment relationship.
All employees and contractors of Westurn Engineering are expected know and comply with the requirements of this statement.
Information or an opinion, whether recorded in a material form or not, about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable. Common examples are an individual’s name, signature, address, telephone number, date of birth, medical records, bank account details and commentary or opinion about a person.
Information or an opinion about an individual’s: racial or ethnic origin; political opinions; membership of a political association; religious beliefs or affiliations; philosophical beliefs; membership of a professional or trade association; membership of a trade union; sexual preferences or practices; criminal record; health information about an individual; or genetic information about an individual that is not otherwise health information.
Westurn Engineering is considered an APP entity under the Privacy Act 1988 and is committed to compliance with the Australian Privacy Principles (“APPs”).
Collection of Personal and Sensitive Information
Westurn Engineering only collects personal information to support its functions or activities. This collection is performed in a fair and lawful manner directly from you wherever reasonable and practical. Westurn Engineering will only collect sensitive information with your consent.
Typically, personal information will be collected:
- when you communicate with us,
- if you apply for employment with us,
- if you work for a Westurn Engineering client and/or supplier, and/or our work requires us to have dealings with you,
- if you visit the Westurn Engineering office,
- if you visit our website.
USE AND DISCLOSURE
The purpose for which Westurn Engineering collects personal information is known as the “primary purpose” of collection. If Westurn Engineering uses or discloses the information for another purpose, then this is known as a “secondary purpose”.
Westurn Engineering will only use or disclose your personal information for the primary purpose of collection, and other secondary purposes in special circumstances. These circumstances are:
- for personal information that is not sensitive, the secondary purpose must be reasonably related to the primary purpose
- for personal information that is also sensitive, the secondary purpose must be directly related to the primary purpose
- for personal information that is also sensitive, and the secondary purpose is not directly related to the primary purpose, must have your consent
- where the Privacy Act gives a special exception e.g. if the use is required by law or relating to law enforcement, or if there is a serious threat to health and safety.
Westurn Engineering will take reasonable steps to make you are aware of:
- The identity and contact details of the entity collecting your personal information,
- The purpose for which your personal information is collected,
- Any organisation that Westurn Engineering may pass the collected personal information to,
- Any law that requires the collection of specific information,
- Potential consequences of not providing the requested personal information,
- Your ability to seek access to and correct your personal information.
For the purposes referred to in this statement, Westurn Engineering may disclose your personal information to other entities including, but not limited to, our clients, contractors, business partners, sub-consultants, professional advisors (including accountants, auditors and legal advisors), lawyers, bankers, insurers, medical or occupational practitioners, laboratory analysts, investigators and law enforcement bodies.
If you are employed by Westurn Engineering, we may be required to disclose personal information about you at the time of employment to other entities. These entities are permitted to collect, use or disclose this personal information for reasons relating directly or indirectly to your employment. Likely entities that we may share personal information with include (but are not limited to) representatives of the Australian Tax Office superannuation fund trustees and administrators.
We will not use Commonwealth government identifiers (“identifiers”) (such as Medicare numbers or tax file numbers) as our means of identifying individuals. We will only use or disclose identifiers in the circumstances permitted by the Privacy Act.
Anonymity and Pseudonymity
We respect the right of an individual to remain anonymous, or use a pseudonym, when dealing with us, whenever lawful and practicable.
PURPOSES FOR WHICH WE USE PERSONAL AND SENSITIVE INFORMATION
Recruitment and Selection
We may use and disclose personal information as part of our recruitment process to:
- Verify credentials, working rights and international visa eligibility, experience and qualifications
- Carry out credit or criminal record checks
Reporting and Administration
If required for reporting and administration requirements, we may disclose personal information to government departments or agencies.
Marketing and Communications
If we have worked with you, we may use your personal information to maintain contact in a way you would normally expect. Whenever we do so, you may opt out of receiving future similar communications.
Health and Safety
We collect and retain health and medical information in some scenarios:
- As an employee or employment candidate, it may be necessary to undergo medical or substance screening before, during or after employment. This requirement may apply to visits to work sites.
- If you are injured or become unwell at our offices or client premises, we will collect details of the incident and any required treatment. This information will be used to assist with recovery/rehabilitation, to improve our HSESS (health, safety, environment, security, social responsibility) procedures and manage any legal claims that may arise.
We will meet all privacy act requirements for the use and disclosure of health and medical information
When you are accessing our website, we may record and log your information for statistical and security purposes. This information does not include any personally identifying information but may include:
- A user’s advertised IP address
- The operating system used
- The date, time and duration of the visit
- The pages accessed
- The type and version of web browser used
We use this information to analyse our site’s usage and performance and to refine, develop and improve the site.
In the case that our website links to an external website, we do not guarantee or make representations regarding the privacy policies or practices of the operator of that website.
STORAGE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Protection of Personal and Sensitive Information
We take reasonable steps to protect your personal and sensitive information. Protection means to secure against misuse, interference, loss, destruction and unauthorised access, modification and disclosure. The steps we take include:
- Physical security at our premises
- Internal policies for IT usage
- Maintaining IT security
- Access restriction of personal information on a need-to-know basis, and to authorised personnel only.
Quality of Personal and Sensitive Information
We take reasonable steps to make sure that the personal information held by us is accurate, up-to-date and complete.
Access and Correction for your Personal Information
You have a right to access the personal information that we hold on you, other than in specific situations described in the Privacy Act. For example, Employee Records fall outside these rights. If you require this access, please contact us. You are required to make the request in writing and provide proof of identity for security reasons. We will respond to valid requests within a reasonable time.
If this personal information is currently or soon-to-be out of date, or if you believe it is inaccurate, you can contact us and we will correct or update your personal information.
If we do not grant you access to your personal information, or we refuse to correct your personal information, we will provide you with a valid reason.
Please contact Westurn Engineering if you have any queries about the personal information that Westurn Engineering holds about you, the way we handle that personal information or if you have any concerns, complaints or requests at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are not satisfied with the result of your complaint you can refer your compliant to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC) in writing by completing the online Privacy Complaint form on OAIC’s website at www.oaic.gov.au/privacy/making-a-privacy-complaint.
Alternatively, you may send your completed Privacy Complaint form to:
Facsimile: +61 2 9284 9666
Post: Sydney Office – GPO Box 5218 Sydney NSW 2001
OAIC Enquiries line by telephone is 1300 363 992. Or if calling from outside Australia call: + 61 2 9284 9749.
As part of continuous improvement, this policy is subject to change. As appropriate, a revised statement will be posted on our website.
Australian Privacy Principles, Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
This policy was last updated on May 1, 2020.